Monday, April 2, 2012

I love sore muscles!

Sunday was a great day!  I did get my workout in, even if it was small. 

I had to teach a lifeguarding class, so, out of the ordinary, I decided to join them for their swim, and then stay in the water treading while they practiced skills.  Normally, I teach from the deck, only getting in if they are having difficulty with a particular save.  But today, I went ahead a swam some laps, treaded with them, and stayed in during the class.  It felt good to be back in the water again.

As soon as my class was over, I debated on that run.  I was still sore, and I had just put my muscles through a 'semi-workout'.  I'm having difficulty telling "sore, and you need to rest" from "sore because your legs are tight, and you need to run".  I've never been a runner, so I don't know what this feeling is.  I have yet to distinguish between my body telling me to cool it, and my body telling me to stretch out.  I decided I would attempt a 1 mile run, and hope I wasn't hurting tomorrow.  To my surprise, the run went great, and I wanted to do more.  But I shut my brain off (I tend to be an over-achiever when I'm on a kick), and slowed my pace down for a cool down just over a mile.  I know this seems slight, but when just getting back into the swing of things, I don't want to hurt to where I'm discouraged or injured.  I want to hurt to where I remember why I'm doing this! 

And today, I thankfully woke up to no muscle tenderness!  My legs are still a little tight (maybe I'm learning the difference:)), but nothing is painful!  Today was a rest day, and I felt so good, I wanted to throw in a run or a swim, but I know not to push too far and derail myself.  So I relaxed today.  And drank a ton of water.  And finally remembered breakfast...sitting on the couch, not on the go.  And had another amazing lunch in the park. 

Checks and balances, that's what I'm working on.  Doing this the right way, not the "gung-ho" way.  That way has not served me well in the past!  Tomorrow is my mom's birthday, so I plan on hitting up Body Pump before my family drives down to meet me for the zoo and dinner. 

For the time being, we think 3 rest days are the best for me.  However, after Body Pump on Thursdays, I should do a "slow, strechy swim".  That's my equivalent of water yoga :).  It also helps get my body some different cross training other than running and lifting. 

I'm already proud of myself for the small victories of sucking it up and doing my workout, instead of making excuses.  I gave up excuses for Lent.  And it seems to be working, I'm getting in that habit.  I'm realizing how much better I feel after a workout, rather than making an excuse why I couldn't.  They may be small workouts and small victories right now, but it just takes time and those little changes!

No comments:

Post a Comment